Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year, New Offerings...and a little Reflecting

In 2009, Brooke Jantz Photography will continue to grow and change. When 2007 began, I had no plans of a "real" business. I was still just learning how to operate my camera and figure out what to do in Photoshop. But in 2007, I read every article, bought too many books, spent hours and hours on the computer, and never relented in my quest to learn more about photography. Not much has changed since then.

I still spend countless hours learning all I can about my craft. I did jump into business last spring (admittedly before I was ready), but I have never looked back. God has truly blessed me in this venture.

I have learned in this past year, a photographer is not the sum total of her equipment...and a good camera can not make you a good photographer. I have learned Photoshop in the wrong hands can be dangerous (just look at my early stuff for proof!). I have learned (let me paraphrase Ratatouille), "not everyone can become a great photographer...but a great photographer can come from anywhere..." I have learned, that if you dream it and ask God to be part of that dream...it can happen.

I know 2009 will be a great year! I have some new products to offer, new digital packages, and new session types. I even plan to venture into the wedding arena.

I just want to leave you with a peek at what a difference 2 years makes. The first shot is with my D80, still on auto, with the pop-up flash....and a horrid sepia conversion in Paint Shop Pro. Still, I love the pic because it's my baby girl...she is six months old in that picture. *tear* The second is from a few weeks ago of a 5 month-old in my studio. Shot with the D700 (mind you, my D80 would have looked very much the same in studio), on full manual (only way I shoot anymore), and lightly processed in Photoshop. I know I still have a long journey ahead to become the photographer I want to be....but I just wanted to share how far I've come since first pulling my first dSLR out of the box.

2 comments:

Stellan Bracelets said...

I am SO proud of you... I'm so glad you're using God's gift and that He has blessed your journey.

Anonymous said...

I hope I learn half as much as you have with my new camera. I am so completely lost LOL I love reading your blog and looking at your work. Keep up the great work :)